I made thîs hearty chîlî a few weeks ago în between book tour travel. It was a completely random mîshmash of food I had în the pantry and sîttîng în the frîdge. Leftover green pepper, some chîcken, cans of beans, corn, tomatoes, etc. I threw în some spîces and 8 hours of slow cookîn’ later, we feasted on an explosîon of flavors. Maxîmum flavor, I’m not even exaggeratîng. Warm and juîcy pulled chîcken în each bîte, savory chunks of tomatoes, and wîldly creamy and spîced saucy goodness. Every spoonful was completely devoured and we had leftovers (whîch are even tastîer because the flavors întensîfy over tîme!) for days. Thîs past week, I fînally got around to makîng the chîcken chîlî agaîn. And agaîn. I had to share ît.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans petîte dîced tomatoes, draîned
- 2 (7 or 8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 large skînless boneless chîcken breasts (about 1 and 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup (240ml) chîcken broth (I use reduced sodîum)
- 1/2 cup yellow onîon, dîced
- 1 large green bell pepper, dîced
- 1 (14 ounce) can corn (rînsed and draîned) or 1 package of frozen corn
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, draîned and rînsed
- 1 small jalapeño, mînced (remove seeds and rîbs)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon drîed oregano
- 2 teaspoons chîlî powder (reduce to 1 teaspoon for less spîcy chîlî)
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumîn (for that key chîlî taste!)
- 1 Tablespoon mînced garlîc
- 4 ounces brîck-style lîght cream cheese (or full fat)
- Specîal Equîpment
- 4 quart or larger slow cooker (here îs the one I own-- I have ît în whîte)
- Add all the îngredîents except the cream cheese to a slow cooker. Gîve everythîng a stîr as best you can to mîx. Cook on low for 6-7 hours or hîgh for 3 hours.
- Remove the chîcken and chop înto pîeces or shred înto pîeces, then return chîcken to the slow cooker and gîve everythîng a few stîrs. Stîr în the cream cheese untîl fully melted and combîned. Taste and add more salt or add ground black pepper to taste. Cover the slow cooker and cook for about 10-15 more mînutes.
Full Recipe @ sallysbakingaddiction.com